Thursday 12 September 2013

Zippy Salsa

Salsa!
A number of years ago I started making my own salsa.  I was using a mix made by Bernardin which produced a lovely spicy salsa.  I didn't follow their directions exactly (what else is new!) and added my own onions and sometimes peppers I'd grown as well.  Unfortunately, last year they discontinued that mix and put out a new one which looked very different.  As I didn't have enough tomatoes last year, I didn't bother trying it out but this year, there are lots of tomatoes on hand as well as some great peppers.

My husband's cousin had also been making the salsa using Bernardin's mix and this year she tried the new one but was very disappointed with the results.  She found a new recipe on the Internet, so I decided to search out one as well.  Of course, I tried Canadian Living first and found one called Peppy Salsa which had very good comments and even a video to show you how to make the salsa.

I had the tomatoes, onions, garlic and jalapeno peppers thanks to the gift of a plant from a friend.  Jollity Farms proved to be a good source for medium heat peppers, although they didn't have the peppers called for in the recipe.
Six kinds of peppers chopped up!
I bought pepperonchini, Hungarian wax and another red pepper the name of which escapes me.  I got sweet red and yellow peppers from the grocery store.
All the ingredients ready to cook up.
My daughter scared me when she blanched at all the peppers in the recipe so I decided to halve it, which gave me 6 sealed 1-cup jars and a half jar for the fridge.  Now that I've made it and tasted it, next time, I'll do the full recipe.  It's pretty good!  I call mine Zippy Salsa because I didn't make it exactly as Canadian Living's recipe dictated, but here's the link to their recipe:  SALSA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment